Beetroot Salad with a Blackcurrant & Thyme Reduction
A great summer starter!
- 5-6 medium beetroots
- 75g hazelnuts
- 1tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 100ml The Little Herb Farm Blackcurrant & Thyme Vinegar
- In a saucepan, bring the vinegar to a low boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often, until it has reduced by two thirds.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Trim the beetroots, wrap each individually in a piece of foil and place them on a baking tray. Roast for 45 to 90 minutes, depending on the size of the beets, until a knife easily slides into the largest one. Leave until cool enough to handle.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C/gas mark 2.
- Toast the hazelnuts in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the skins have darkened and are almost falling off. Place them on a damp tea towel and rub vigorously until most of the skins fall off. Roughly chop the hazelnuts and set aside.
- Carefully unwrap the beetroots. Under cold running water, push the skins off with your fingers.
- Slice the beets into rounds and arrange among three or four plates. Sprinkle a handful of toasted hazelnuts on top, add a drizzle of the reduced vinegar (about a tablespoon for each plate) and a drizzle of oil and serve.
- Allow it to come to room temperature before using. Any leftover vinegar reduction can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to a month.
The Little Herb Farm http://thelittleherbfarm.co.uk/