Blackcurrant & Thyme Stew
- 750g/1lb 10oz good quality stewing steak cubed)
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1oz butter
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 2 cloves of Garlic, crushed
- 1 Onion chopped (or 5oz baby onions, peeled)
- 6oz Carrots chopped into chunks
- 5oz Button Mushrooms, halved
- 2 Leeks roughly chopped
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 150ml/5fl oz Red Wine
- 500ml/18fl oz Beef Stock
- 4 tbsp The Little Herb Farm Blackcurrant & Thyme Vinegar (or to taste)
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
- Heat the oil and butter in an oven-proof casserole dish until hot and then add the meat and brown on all sides.
- Add the flour and stir for two minutes.
- Add the garlic and vegetables and fry for two minutes.
- Stir in the wine, stock and vinegar, season with salt and pepper and add the bay leaves.
- Pop into the oven for around two hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Serve with a healthy dollop of mashed potatoes or some fresh crusty bread.
The Little Herb Farm https://thelittleherbfarm.co.uk/